A Wave Goodbye…

June 24, 2010 by Deb Hanson · 1 Comment · Love Your Library

goodbye hand

This will be the last post to this – the very first – VPAA Media Blog. I am leaving Veterans Park with great memories of awesome students and staff members. This blog was started two years ago as an experiment to see if we could use it to expand library services for students and enhance their learning experiences with Web 2.0 tools. It became a wonderful platform for learning, experimenting, and sharing for many people – students, teachers, other media specialists, and professional educators from all over the world. It is here we shared the successes of our library media programs like the now-famous Guys Read Club, invited students to submit poetry and book reviews, promoted our summer reading challenges, and showcased resources like Sweet Search, Meebo Chat, and VoiceThread.

During my four years at VPAA we added nearly 6000 items to our collections, circulated almost 700,000 books and other items, installed a wireless laptop lab and two Smartboards in the libraries, re-designed – with student help – both libraries to make them more kid-friendly, improved the age of the collection by six years, added eBooks, young adult books, and paperbacks for middle school students, increased our web presence, helped students learn to use databases, to blog safely, to choose great books to read, and to enjoy learning. It has been a pleasure and vpaamedia.edublogs.org--2009-06-12_to_2010-06-13an adventure to work in and manage two libraries in one great school. The memories I’ll hold dearest are those of kids rocking in the video chairs or snuggled up with the big stuffed lion reading a favorite book or magazine.

Our blog’s cluster map was recently archived by ClustrMaps, but before they hit the reset button for the new year we had red dots indicating visits from students, teachers, and others from 42 different countries. We appreciate each comment we got from visitors. Having this blog helped us connect with other classes, students, and educators and made us feel like we were part of something bigger than us alone.

As I move on, I hope that every student, parent, teacher, and staff member at VPAA will continue to connect, engage, and learn from people all over the world in as many ways and with as many tools as you can, and then share what you know so you can make the world a better place.  Best wishes to you all.

-Mrs. Hanson

Tags: ··

One Comment so far ↓

• Donna Baumbach

I have SO enjoyed following your students and your activities on this blog. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Best wishes!